Monday, November 15, 2010

Yep, The Phone Still Works

Just realized, from Kelly's comment, that I updated my 'Big Departure Checklist' but forgot to update my profile.  I'll get that done as soon as I finish this.  Snowing for the third time here.  Nothing sticking though.    I'm beginning to realize that this job adventure is a good thing.  I always thought, that with my RN, there is no way I would go more than a month without a job.  I'm finding it a little harder to get back in to direct patient care than I originally thought.  Seems the employers are looking for recent (within the last year) hands on experience with patients.   Good thing I'm finding this out now.  Direct patient care was going to be my fall back (when living in the RV), to make money, if medical transcription did not bring in enough $$.   Would have been pretty scary if I was living on the road, running out of money, and ran into this trouble.  This weekend I started putting in apps for temp & part time RN jobs.  I'm just not getting calls back.  It's weird, not being able to put in applications face to face.  It feels like I'm throwing applications & letters into the wind.  Even checked the phone today, to make sure it was still working :0)  We're o.k. financially for about another month.  Back up plan is that I can start back at the call center after Jan 23rd.  I could work, part time, at the call center and start an RN refresher course that will take $2,000 and 2+ months.    There is always phone sex worker...... 0.30 cents a minute.  I'm just not sure I could do it with a straight face :0)   HMMM  which is worse.....  Phone sex or back to the Call Center??  Now there's a question I just don't even want to contemplate right now (insert big eye roll here) LOL

So, on crazy dogs.  I believe that dogs can be trained, to a point, but sometimes I just have to give up and train myself.  There is a sliding glass door in my bedroom.  One dog loves to get his head in the curtains and stare out the window.  That would be fine, except he goes bats*(* whenever anyone walks by.  My first step was to sew the curtain panels together.  So he found a way under the curtains :0)  This has been going on for a couple of years.  Remember, I've previously said that I make changes and decisions slowly :0)

I've been trying to keep myself busy, while not smoking (there are only so many showers I can take Merikay lol).  I've been cleaning up my unfinished basement.  I found these folding, plastic, spikey mats, that I had evidentally purchased sometime in the past.  THEY WORK AWESOME!!  Crazy dog is a little peaved with me, but he's staying out of the curtains!  Today, I'm putting one on the bed.  The other crazy dog likes to pull down the bedspread and sleep on my pillows, ARGH!!  I'm o.k. with her on the bed, I just want her to stay off my clean sheets!!  I'll keep you posted. 

In summary...  I'm unemployed but not broke yet.  Loosing weight and not smoking.  Keeping my house picked up and my laundry clean.  Just need to find a job that doesn't make me want to smoke and eat!!  Should be a doable goal. 

Hope all is well out there.  Take care and be gentle with each other. 

(so back to counting stuff I'm thankful for)
  • Training myself to save money when I was still employed.  
  • Crazy dogs are ongoing, live-in entertainment
  • Warm place to sleep/stay when it's cold and yucky outside
  • Family that has offerred to pay for the RN refresher course if I need it
  • Internet access so I can feel in touch with the rest of the world :0)

4 comments:

Merikay said...

You are not alone! Sounds like you are "hearing" my nagging in your head! If there was anything I could write that would help i any way I would!

I am happy for you. A job will come.

Four Windows with a View said...

I'm complaining about rain and gray on my blog and you're talking snow! If we get snow here my blog should be a very interesting hysterical read. How nice that family has offered to pay for your refresher course. Do you want to get back into hands on care? How long ago did you leave the profession? Good luck with whatever you decide. How fantastic you're still not smoking. Life does go on whether we smoke or not.

Jeana, 16 years ex-smoker

The Good Luck Duck said...

Spikey mats, you say? *laughs tiny sinister laugh* I'll bet cats don't like them, either.

Sondra said...

Keep going soon that smoking will be pmhx---
I quit in 1997 so HAPPY I did--
I also got canned from my job in 2007 I thought the same thing it would be easy..BUT duh Im still unemployed-GOOD thing I was good at squirreling away money!