Monday, February 15, 2010

So Now it Starts

I have been thinking of starting a blog for a while.  I have regularly kept a journal.  I work things out there, tell stories, and get silly or morose occasionally. 

I started researching full-time RV life September of 2009.  I have gotten much of my inspiration and information from blogs of those that are living the lifestyle.  Regular blog posters are rare in the category I search (single, female, full-time RV).  There are even fewer blogs of single women preparing for the change.  So I thought I would make one and see if I can find some kindred spirits. 

For now, I'm planning on purchasing a 30 foot Class A (the RV's that look like buses).  I will take my motorcycle as a toad (towed vehicle to get around local areas when I'm parked).  The Class A will have to be used so I can afford it.  Recently, my research has been focused on whether I can afford to do this.  Things like insurance, vehicle upkeep, and RV space rental look like they will take the most money.  I have gotten excellent estimates on how much things will cost from RV-Dreams.com financial pages.  Thank you to Howard and Linda! 

Currently, I work most of my shifts from my home office but the job will not translate to my new lifestyle. I'm thinking I can learn medical transcription and use that to make a living on the road.  That will involve starting my own company so I can work as an independent contractor. 

My head is all over the place.  Some days I think this will all be too much work and too much change.  Other days, I'm ready to get in my truck and leave tomorrow.  I regularly ask myself WHY?  I have a good job, a good life, couldn't wish for more.   I'm still working on a concise answer to WHY?  I know it has to do with learning to live from heart instead of my head.  Finding my joy.  I read blogs and books on this topic and they always make me tear up.  Tear up with a longing deep in my chest.  I have a feeling that I want that.  I think it would change how I feel about life and people.

What do I see when I dream about my life on the road?  I've never been a big traveller.  I don't like to fly, I don't like crowds, and I don't like being rushed.  There are things I want to see.  Mt. Rushmore, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Washington DC etc.  I envision being able to see these places in my own time, avoiding the biggest crowds, and really learning about each thing.  I love exploring cemetaries and making up stories about the people represented by the headstones.  I love living slowly, taking my time to fully explore and experience anything I want to.  I like to meet interesting individuals and learn their stories, their experiences, and their life lessons.  I hope to avoid hustle/bustle, dressing up and mean people. 

On people:  I just want to say that I generally avoid them.  I get my feelings hurt easily and I think people can be unpredictable, careless, and mean.  I know there are good people out there (most of them love dogs ).  I have met some excellent people that I value as friends and family.  I have also met sociopaths, meanies and bullies.  The RVers I have met, have tended towards the better side.  I'm hoping to increase my chances of meeting the excellent people with my change in lifestyle. 

3 comments:

Al Bossence said...

Hi Katie......Hang in there. Looks like your mind is on the right track for some positive changes. There are other single ladies out here living & traveling in their RV's. Gypsy on our blog roll is one of them. I will get back to you about another lady & her dog. Just have to relocate her site..... Take care. AL:))

Rick said...

Hi Katie, welcome to blogland - you are off to a great start. Sounds like you know what you want to do and have given it a lot of thought so I hope it works out the way you want, whatever you decide.

Debbie Goode said...

Welcome to the blogging world...you are off to a great start. Sounds like you are doing your RV homework and that is a good thing. I sure hope it all works out for you.....and, yes.....dog lovers are the best!