Monday, May 24, 2010

Counting my Blessings and What to say

I've talked about my friend Kiki before.  Well, she's pregnant.  SOO happy for her.  Her and hubby are having a little girl.  It's so hard for me when my friends get pregnant.  I know it's an exciting time, and a scary time.  I just can't relate.  I'm glad there are people that want to have children and are good at raising them.  Thank GOD people do.  It's just not me.  I've occasionally had the urge to want to know what it feels like to be pregnant but never had a craving to have a child.  To me, they are a huge commitment, I don't want to have.  I know there are joys I will never know, without a child of my own.  I'm o.k. with that.  All I think about is another person demanding my time, attention, money and messing with my stuff :0)  The worry and potential trouble that come with a child is all I can think about.  You can call me selfish, and you would be right.  On the other hand.  If I had followed the traditional path.  Gotten married and had kids.  I'm sure I would have ended up on Oprah with my kid/s in therapy for the duration.  I'm glad I was raised in a time, and in a family where it was o.k. for me not to want children.  No one has ever given me a hard time about it.   But back on the subject.  How to express to Kiki how happy I am for her? How do I tell her how happy I am for her and hubby.   Let her know I think she will be a fabulous mom and wish her the best? I won't be a babysitting candidate.  I know I will see her less once the child is born, and her life is taken over with child rearing.  I will miss her.  I'm also glad that smart, kind, people like her and hubby are choosing to bring kids into the world.  She will be a beautiful, smart, kind, and well educated person that the world will be lucky to have. 

That brings me to the next paragraph of counting my blessings.  This is on of those instructions from my mother that still hangs around.  I have a tendency to get into a funk and start feeling sorry for myself.  Mom was constantly reminding me to count my blessings.  Even Oprah had a run where she was encouraging people to journal about 5 positive things a day.  She called it the gratitude journal.  I did it for a while and it did add a different perspective to my life.  I follow a blogger named Ali who puts a list of 'praises' and 'prayers' at the end of her journal entries.   It certainly sums up a day in the life of a person.  I think I'll try it.  I'll call it my blessings for now. 
  • No children or attachments keeping me from planning my RV adventure (if I had followed a traditional path, my kids would be teens now UGH)
  • great paying job that allows me to work from home most of the time and provides great benefits
  • 2 wonderful dogs that make me smile every day
  • safe, comfortable home
  • reliable high speed internet to keep in touch with blog land and the rest of the world
Cya later.  Thanks for stopping by.  Be gentle with each other.